Most of the Seahawks workouts and OTAs are closed to the public and media, so it’s tough to get any feel for the roster battles that are now underway. But the early reports are that Matt Flynn has performed the best so far and might be taking the early lead. Here is what I’ve been able to uncover about the QB competition so far:
- From what I’ve been able to gather so far Flynn, Tarvaris Jackson, Russell Wilson all are getting equal reps. This isn’t like the last 2 offseasons where the “competition” was stacked from the beginning with one of the QBs getting most of the first team reps. At least at this early stage, that isn’t happening here.
- Wilson and Jackson have been turning the ball over more than the team would like, but it hasn’t been a huge problem.
- Flynn was singled out for his ability to handle pressure and not have it cause mistakes.
- ESPN is operating under the assumption that Flynn will win the job. They seem very dismissive that Wilson even has a shot. They are definitely painting the picture that this is a 2-way competition. I’m not sure if that is real or not, but it is something to watch for.
- Pete Carroll is being very vague when asked about the QB play in the practices that aren’t open to the media.
It’s obviously way too early