Yesterday was the last offseason workout of 2012 for the Seattle Seahawks. The team and players now take a break until training camp begins in late July. Pete Caroll referred to this break like being on “summer vacation.”
The most important aspect of this mini-camp is probably the QB battle, so I’ll get right to it:
- Tarvaris Jackson was given the 1st team reps at QB on day 1 of the minimap. He reportedly looked sharp, and flashed his arm strength on a number of throws. He also didn’t throw the interceptions that hurt him in previous workouts.
- Matt Flynn was given the 1st team reps on day 2, and his performance was described as “putting on a clinic” on how to play QB. That is clearly high praise. Although Carroll wouldn’t comment when asked, a number of reporters said he looked better than Jackson the day before.
- Russell Wilson was given the snaps on day 3, and while people say he looked like a leader, comments on his passes were noticeably absent from most reports. From what I heard he looked excellent at times, but turned the ball over a lot too.
- Brian Banks had his 2 day tryout end without a contract offer from the Seahawks. He will now travel to San Francisco to do the same thing with the Niners. Pete Carroll says that the team hasn’t made up it’s mind on Banks yet, and may decide to sign in down the road.
- WR Antonio Bryant, who once had over 1200 receiving yards in a season but hasn’t played in 2 years, also completely a 2 day tryout with the Seahawks. From what I’m hearing, the Seahawks are interested in getting him signed to increase the talent pool at WR. This was already a tough roster battle, and it will only get tougher if the 2 parties can agree to terms.
- Pete Carroll had said that KJ Wright, and not rookie middle linebacker Bobby Wagner would make the on-field calls for the defense this season. That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore, and Wagner was making all those calls for the first team defense this week.
- Ben Obomanu made an impression during this mini-camp, and it wasn’t a good one. Obomanu had some bad dropped passes on all 3 days of the camp.
- Chris Clemons missed all 3 days of this mandatory camp in an effort to get a contract extension.