This might have been the most frustrating game of the year for the Seahawks. The defense played well in the first half, and the offense moved the ball efficiently except for a couple dropped passes. Then came the 2nd half when they couldn’t do anything well. The offense was atrocious, and the defense wasn’t much better.
I’ll keep it short tonight, and write more once I’ve let this dumpster fire burn itself out.
- Anyone just looking at the stats will think that Russell Wilson had a bad game. He didn’t. 5 dropped passes killed him and the Seahawks offense. They cost the team 4 first downs and possibly a TD (or at least having a 1st and goal at the one). Wilson played a good game, and the rest of the team let him down.
- Lynch had a huge game. Robert Turbin played well except for the one drop. The running game did it’s part tonight.
- Leon Washington has no business being on the field with the offense. None. There is nothing he does that Turbin doesn’t do better. Why the Seahawks decided to ruin 3 drives by letting Washington on the field on 3rd down is beyond my comprehension.
- I am so tired of the empty backfield or shotgun formation on 3rd and short. Lynch was averaging over 5 yards per carry. Eliminating the threat of the run and letting defense come after Wilson at full speed is just stupid. The Seahawks have been doing it all year, and it needs to stop.
- Its pretty clear, WR has to be at the top of list for this next offseason, both in the draft and free agency.
- There was not nearly enough play-action in this game by Seattle.
- The Seahawks defense was good in the first half. Very good in the 2nd quarter. But they were anything but good in the 2nd half. I know the final tally was only 13 points, but they were gashed over and over again and just couldn’t stop Frank Gore. Only a intercept in the end zone, and the fact that the 49ers were content to shorten the game as much as possible, kept the game close.
- Brandon Mebane and LeRoy Hill were the biggest culprits. both played their worst game of the season. Mebane was pushed all over the place. Hill over ran almost every play and missed tackles right and left in the 2nd half. Both should have been benched, and for a while both were. It didn’t help.
- Why can’t the Seahawks ever play 4 quarters of good football under Pete Carroll? They haven’t yet done it this year, and I don’t remember it ever happening last season. They either come put strong in the first half and then wilt in the 2nd (like against Green Bay and tonight) or they lay an egg in the 1st half and dig themselves a hole. It’s infuriating.
- The Seahawks are 4-3, and still have a legit shot at the playoffs. Keep that in mind over the next 10 days.
- While the Seahawks are 0-3 in the division, all 3 of those games were on the road. They now have their 3 remaining division games at home. And yes, the Seahawks can win the division going 3-3.