It’s Week 16 and the playoff scenario is starting to become clearer and clearer as we go. Here’s a quick look at where we are as we approach the big matchup against the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday Night Football.
– It’s simple. Beat the 49ers, and the Hawks are in as a Wild Card. If the Niners lose in Week 17 to Arizona at home and the Seahawks beat the Rams, then the ‘Hawks claim the NFC West crown, and at least one home field playoff game against the 6th seed. The Bears, Vikings, and Giants are prime contenders for this endeavor.
– There is a scenario where if the Seahawks claim the NFC West, and the Green Bay Packers lose one of their remaining games, then the ‘Hawks end up the #2 Seed, and a First Round Bye.
– If the ‘Hawks beat the 49ers on Sunday Night, but the ‘Niners win in Week 17, then the ‘Hawks still go in as the 5 seed, and likely will play at either Dallas, or Washington. The Giants are also a possibility here.
– If the ‘Hawks lose on Sunday Night, but beat the Rams in Week 17, they still go in as the 5 seed against either the Redskins, or Cowboys, on the road. The Giants are a possibility as well, depending on how the NFC East shakes out.
– I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t include all scenarios, including the worst of them. If the Seahawks lose out, then it will take some help from other teams to get in as the 6th seed. Namely a Redskins victory over the Cowboys in Week 17 in what is looking like one of the games of the year.
This is where the Seahawks sit going into what may be one of the greatest games in the HISTORY of this franchise. Every day leading up to Sunday Night is becoming longer than the last, as I’m sure my fellow 12th Men and Women are just aching to open what could be the greatest Holiday present given to its fans in years. Playoffs baby, Playoffs.