Reports have been flying all day that a Matt Flynn trade was “imminent.” Well, it wasn’t that imminent, since it still hasn’t happened.
What we know right now: The Raiders are the team that’s acquiring Flynn. They will release Carson Palmer to create the cap room to so.
What we “think” we know: Supposedly the trade is “completed” from the Seahawk’s end, but the deal is waiting on the Raiders to get their salary cap situation figured out. Since cutting Palmer saves more against the cap than Flynn will cost them, I’m not sure how this is so difficult.
It also appears that rather than cutting Palmer, the Raiders might be trying to trade him to the Cardinals.
What we don’t know yet: Everything else. We have no idea what the Seahawks are getting in return. We don’t have any idea what their plan is for a backup QB once Flynn is gone.
Other Random Comments:
- The Seahawks already own the Raider’s 5th round pick this year because of the Aaron Curry trade.
- Matthew will be posting a look at possible veteran options still available for the Seahawks to replace Flynn. Hopefully that will be done by the morning.
- My wild guess for compensation for the Seahawks is that the Seahawks give the Raiders back their 5th round pick along with Flynn in exchange for the Raider’s 4th round pick and 5th rounder in 2014.
- Why that compensation? Only because the idea of giving the Raiders the pick they’ve already traded to to the Seahawks is entertaining to me. It’s like a game of Aaron Curry hot potato.
- I think this trade means that the Raiders don’t believe that Geno Smith with get past Jacksonville at #2 overall in the draft.
- A huge contingent of people from the Raiders were on hand for Matt Barkley’s workout at USC, and then promptly contacted Seattle about Flynn. Connect those dots everyone.