NFL Network analyst says Seahawks have best roster in NFL
By Dan Viens
NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks says the Seattle Seahawks roster is the most talented in the entire league.
Over the last month we’ve heard all sorts of praise for the draft the Seahawks put together, as well as the haul they reeled in during the undrafted free agency period. But NFL Network’s Bucky Brooks said today that he feels the teams existing roster is already the most talented in the league.
Brooks, a former NFL scout for Seattle and Carolina before his TV days, names nine Seahawk players as “blue chips” or elite. Those players are:
- Russell Wilson, QB
- Doug Baldwin, WR
- Jimmy Graham, TE
- Michael Bennett, DT
- Bobby Wagner, LB
- K.J. Wright, LB
- Richard Sherman, CB
- Kam Chancellor, S
- Earl Thomas, S
More from 12th Man Rising
- 4 prospects Seahawks could reach for at No. 20 in 2023 NFL Draft
- Seattle Seahawks Mock Draft: Post-first wave of free agency
- Seahawks podcast: A review of the first week of free agency
- 4 experiments the Seattle Seahawks could cut short in 2023
- 3 pros and cons of Seattle Seahawks drafting Anthony Richardson
Brooks then lists WR Tyler Lockett, RB Thomas Rawls and CB Jeremy Lane as “risers” who could acheive blue chip status in the future.
A couple observations:
- K.J. Wright has been overshadowed by the accolades of his better-known defensive teammates, so it’s interesting to see Brooks put him in the elite category here. Well deserved recognition.
- Seven of the 11 projected starters on defense are on one of these lists.
- Lane’s inclusion as a riser is encouraging. Some questioned the Hawks for seemingly committing to him as a starter by giving him a substantial new contract this off season. His ability to hold off some other competition and win that spot will be one of the biggest stories in training camp.
Here’s some of what Brooks had to say about this collection of Seahawks:
"“The Seahawks‘ dominant run has been fueled by their superb draft-and-development model. John Schneider and Pete Carroll routinely have identified impact players at every stage of the draft and unearthed a few quality players on the undrafted free-agent market. With a coaching staff committed to putting young players on the field, theSeahawks have been a viable Super Bowl contender for each of the past four seasons. The trend will continue with the defense leading the way.” NFL Network’s Bucky Brooks"
The next two teams on Brooks list are Pittsburgh and Carolina. The Stellers might be a surprise to some as the runner-up, but Brooks love the explosive players they have on offense.
Is Brooks a little biased, because he worked in Seattle and Carolina? Perhaps, but it’s an interesting read. You can see his entire list and accompanying analysis here.
Next: Who are the 5 worst Seahawks of all time?
What’s encouraging for Seahawk fans is that Brooks didn’t even take into account any rookies in compiling this list, he’s simply talking about each teams current core. Add to that a group of first year players that analysts have almost universally praised, and you can see why confidence is high around the VMAC these days.