Seahawks front seven
With Wilson steering the ship, further goods news comes from the engine room so to speak. The defensive front seven and the offensive line are looking good going into 2021. With the shrewd additions of Gabe Jackson, Al Woods, Kerry Hyder and Aldon Smith from free agency and the re-signing of Carlos Dunlap the front office has done all it can pithing the salary cap constraints to bolster these areas in the short term.
With the likes of Poona Ford and a trio of bright young prospects at linebacker, there are some building blocks in place for the future too.
Starting with the defensive front seven, they rank third overall on my list.
On the face of it, this seems like a big call to make, so let me explain myself.
- Defensive skipper Bobby Wagner is a great leader and one of the best linebackers in the NFL.
- Poona Ford is the third best nose tackle in the NFL and aged just 25 can only get better.
- The rotation of Carlos Dunlap, Kerry Hyder, Aldon Smith and Benson Mayowa at defensive end provides an experienced and quality presence on every down and great depth too.
- Jordan Brooks was a first round draft pick and his development through 2020 indicates he will play like one in 2021.
- Ben Burr-Kirven and Shaquem Griffin are two exciting prospects at LB, certainly way better than the fifth rounds they were drafted in. Under the guidance of Wagner and Dunlap they will develop rapidly in 2020.
Then work the front office has done this close season in this area looks really good to me, especially given how little salary cap space they had to work with.