5 players Seahawks should sign Wednesday to vastly improve the roster
By Geoff Shull
The Seattle Seahawks are in the midst of a rebuild. They traded their cornerstone offensive and defensive players this off-season. This completes the full circle of moving on from cornerstones starting in 2017.
The trade is what it is, a fresh start. Russell Wilson appears to have been staring at a new shiny car long enough he wanted it. The Seahawks brain trust has the long-term flexibility they covet.
Both Pete Carroll and John Schneider are adamant that they aren’t rebuilding. They are simply reallocating their money. They believe moving money away from the linebacker and quarterback could put the club in a better position to win today.
5 players the Seahawks should sign to vastly improve the roster.
Let’s revisit the team’s roster as it stands today.
- QB: Drew Lock, Jacob Eason, and Geno Smith (maybe?)
- RB: Rashaad Penny, Chris Carson, Deejay Dallas, and Travis Homer
- WR: Tyler Lockett, Freddie Swain, and Penny Hart
- WR: DK Metcalf, Dee Eskridge, and Aaron Fuller
- TE: Noah Fant, Will Dissly, and Colby Parkinson
- LT: Stone Forsythe
- LG: Damien Lewis and Pier Olivier Lestage
- C: Austin Blythe, Kyle Fuller, and Dakoda Shepley
- RG: Gabe Jackson and Phil Haynes
- RT: Jake Curhan
The clearest holes offensively are quarterback, left tackle, right tackle, and running back. Running back needs depth considering the injury history amongst the top two players. The draft is best suited to solve this.
- LDE: Shelby Harris and Alton Robinson
- DT: Poona Ford, Al Woods, and Bryan Mone
- RDE: Quinton Jefferson and LJ Collier
- EDGE: Uchenna Nwosu
- MLB: Jordyn Brooks, Jon Rhattigan, Tanner Muse
- MLB: Cody Barton, Ben Burr Kiven
- EDGE: Darrell Taylor
- LCB: Sidney Jones, Tre Brown
- RCB: Artie Burns and John Reid
- Slot CB: Justin Coleman, Marquise Blair, and Ugo Amadi
- FS: Quandre Diggs and Marquise Blair
- SS: Jamal Adams and Ryan Neal
The defense needs more depth at the edge, cornerback, and better talent at the middle linebacker.
If the Seahawks are serious about simply reshuffling their money to help win today, there are five players who could make a huge impact on the team.