2 of 5
Seahawks rookies Woolen and Bryant struggle, but the talent is there
- I spoke about the mistakes in the opening drive…most of those were on Tariq Woolen. Woolen had the soft coverage on an easy nine-yard pitch and catch to start the game. On the next play, he whiffed badly on a 24-yard run, and then was caught playing man in a zone scheme, which led to an easy touchdown.
- Coby Bryant also was scored on, getting beat on a 26-yard pass by fellow rookie George Pickens. The play was similar to all the praise we’ve heard all of training camp that Bryant was winning.
- This doesn’t mean all was bad, or that these guys won’t be good. Woolen missed that tackle but was only in this position due to him swatting a receiver attempting to block him away like a fly. That physical presence harnessed can create something special. The Seahawks haven’t seen physical corner play like that in the run game since Richard Sherman.
- The following two drives, Bryant played mainly nickel corner and looked better, much better than veteran Justin Coleman.
- I expect Artie Burns and Sidney Jones to get the first cracks at the job, as they have the experience and can let Woolen and Bryant learn a bit longer. That being said, these two are very likely to be the starting cornerbacks of the future in Seattle, and these are just some of the growing pains they have to go through.