Five most satisfying games of the Seattle Seahawks' Pete Carroll era

The Seahawks have a lot to look forward to in new head coach Mike Macdonald, but it's never a bad idea to look back on fond memories of the recent past.
Pete Carroll with the Seattle Seahawks
Pete Carroll with the Seattle Seahawks / Kevin C. Cox/GettyImages
3 of 5

Seahawks storm back and steal the NFC Championship against Green Bay (2014)

Coming off Seattle's first-ever Super Bowl win, the Seahawks were well on their way to the promised land once again. After clinching the first seed in the NFC, Seattle easily dusted off the Carolina Panthers in the divisional round and was set to match up with Aaron Rodgers and the Packers in Seattle. A Super Bowl trip was on the line and Seattle was planning on going back-to-back.

The game started about as well as Seattle could help, the polar opposite of the past season's NFC Championship. Richard Sherman intercepted Aaron Rodgers in the end zone and Green Bay came up empty after driving well into Seattle territory on the first possession of the game. But that interception was about the only good thing to happen to the Seahawks in the first 45 minutes of the game. For most of the game, this one was a nightmare for Seattle.

Starting with the Seahawks' first possession after Sherman's interception, Russell Wilson gave the ball right back to Green Bay. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix came away with the ball and returned it all the way inside Seattle's 5-yard line. From there, Green Bay settled for a field goal, which felt like a big win for the Seahawks.

But the Seahawks offense did not even get a chance to answer back, as Doug Baldwin muffed the ensuing kickoff and Green Bay was suddenly in business again. The momentum was swinging quickly in Green Bay's favor as the Packers added another field goal. The game felt like it should be much worse than 6-0.

With a chance to swing momentum back, Seattle received the kickoff and held onto it this time. But the offense went three and out after Wilson was sacked on second down and Green Bay would force a punt. Rodgers and company drove down with relative ease into Seattle territory and this time cashed in with a Randall Cobb touchdown. It was 13-0 and Seattle was sleepwalking. The offense needed to wake up and get some sort of momentum. Instead, they went three-and-out again and the Packers added another field goal. Seattle was trailing 16-0 early in the second quarter.

Wilson and the offense got the ball back and desperately needed a drive that culminated in any kind of score. On the first play, Wilson was still looking for his first completed pass of the game and aired it out to Jermaine Kearse. Kearse happened to be double covered and the ball landed in the arms of Clinton-Dix again for one of the easiest interceptions of his career.

Things were derailing fast. Green Bay had the ball again and could blow open the game with a score, but Byron Maxwell provided the first spark in a long time with an interception of Aaron Rodgers. Okay, this was the spark the offense needed. Certainly, they'd get going now, right? Wrong. Wilson threw his third interception of the game to Sam Shields in the Packers' end zone.

Seattle was down 16-0 at the half and had absolutely no momentum. They needed something from their offense, who was set to receive the second-half kickoff. They went three-and-out, again. It was looking bad and Super Bowl dreams were quickly fading. Green Bay punted and gave Seattle the ball back, but we all figured it would either end in another three-and-out or another turnover.

Instead, we got punter Jon Ryan throwing a touchdown to offensive tackle Garry Gilliam. Suddenly, Seattle had some life, as they trailed 16-7 in the third quarter. Following an uneventful several minutes of both teams trading punts, Green Bay was able to add a field goal, going up 19-7.

Down by two scores with less than four minutes to play, the Seahawks finally woke up. It only took two minutes for Seattle to march down the field, culminating in a 1-yard read-option touchdown run for Russell Wilson. With the clock barely above two minutes, Seattle would need an onside kick to stay in the game, down 19-14.

Seattle lined up for the onside kick and Steven Hauschka popped a perfect kick high into the air. Infamous Green Bay tight end Brandon Bostick was in a perfect position to leap up and field the ball, which would end the game, sending the Packers to the Super Bowl. But the ball doinked off his facemask into the waiting arms of Seahawks' wide receiver Chris Matthews.

The imaginary roof blew off the stadium and Seattle was in serious business. It took less than a minute for the Seahawks and Marshawn Lynch to find the endzone, taking a 20-19 lead with a little over a minute left in the game. Seattle lined up for the two-point conversion to try for a three-point lead when Wilson scrambled left, spun, scrambled back another 15 yards right, then threw up a hail mary. Luke Willson somehow, some way came down with the ball and Seattle erupted once again.

Green Bay drove down and nailed a field goal as time was expiring and the game was headed to overtime. Seattle won the toss and would receive the ball -- a touchdown wins the game. A couple of minutes later, on Green Bay's 35-yard line, Wilson noticed Green Bay was showing cover-0 and checked into a deep post route for Jermaine Kearse, who had been having nothing short of a nightmare game. Wilson lofted a moon ball and Kearse came down with it in the endzone. Game over.

It was possibly the most improbable win in NFL playoff history. Seattle had no business winning that game based on the way they played for 56 minutes. But it was one of the most satisfying moments in Seahawks history to watch Jermaine Kearse come down with the walk-off touchdown after having the worst game of his life. We'll never forget that day, from the teary Wilson interview to Michael Bennett riding a police bicycle on the sidelines.