The Seattle Seahawks have to finalize their roster by 1 pm PT on Tuesday, August 29th. Some roster moves have already been announced so cuts are underway. What follows will be everyone that has been confirmed released.
Some players we know will make the 2023 initial 53-man roster, of course. Geno Smith and DK Metcalf and Bobby Wagner, among others, aren't going anywhere. But who will play next to them?
Some of the players reported to have been released could end up back on the practice squad as well. In essence, NFL teams have close to a 70-man roster. There are 53 active players, plus up to 16 players on the practice squad. A few of the practice squad players can be activated on game days though there can only be a total of 46 active game-day players (and a QB3 due to a new NFL rule).
Keeping track of all the reported 2023 Seattle Seahawks roster cuts
On Sunday, Seahawks PR released a list of seven players that have been released. None of the players made much of a role in the preseason games so their being waived is not surprising. Still, they are human beings so I hope they find jobs somewhere doing something they love. That goes for all the players below, all of whom have been confirmed to be released via NFL.com, or other reputable sources (like ESPN's Brady Henderson).
- Tight end Sal Cannella
- Defensive end Jordan Ferguson
- Wide receiver Malik Flowers
- Cornerback Benjie Franklin
- Wide receiver Justin Marshall
- Cornerback Chris Steele
- Running back Wayne Taulapapa
- Tight end Griffin Hebert
- Defensive back Arquon Bush
- Wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey
- Offensive tackle Jalen McKenzie
- Offensive tackle Liam Ryan
- Running back Bryant Koback
- Wide receiver Ra'Shaun Henry
- Defensive end DaMarcus Mitchell
- Defensive tackle Anthony Montalvo
- Cornerback Montrae Braswell
- Wide receiver Matt Landers
- Wide receiver Easop Winston
- Nose guard Matt Gotel
- Offensive guard Kendall Randolph
- Tight end Tyler Mabry (he will likely make it to the practice squad)
- Edge rusher Levi Bell
- Safety Ty Okada
- Safety Joey Blount
- Linebacker Patrick O'Connell
- Linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven
- Safety Jonathan Sutherland
- Linebacker Vi Jones
- Quarterback Holton Ahlers
- Wide receiver John Hall
- Defensive end Roderick Perry
- Offensive tackle Greg Eiland
- Defensive end Jacob Sykes
- Running back SaRodorick Thompson, Jr.
- Linebacker Christian Young
The Seahawks will finalize their roster on Tuesday, but moves can be made after that as well. For instance, Jamal Adams might be on the initial 53-man roster but then almost immediately go on IR which would require him to miss at least four games. This would also create a roster spot for someone else, at least temporarily.
We will keep this page updated when we get more news of roster cuts. Let's just hope not all of our favorite players are released. I'm joking, of course. DK Metcalf is making the team.