It’s time for our weekly Q&A with the editor from our opponent’s Fansided blog. Each week, I ask them 6 questions about their team, and they ask me 6 questions about the Seahawks. This week I’m joined by Scott from RaisingZona.com. Be sure to check out my answers to his questions on his site, and let me know if you think I’m way off on my answers!
1) After 2 weeks, what’s the opinion on Kevin Kolb? Has he been everything that was expected?
Kolb is going to be just fine. He is looking more and more comfortable as each week passes. He’s been everything I expected. I think some people expected him to do worse at this point and all I have to say to them is I told you so.
2) At 91.5 yards/gm, it looks like AZ has finally found a running game in Beanie Wells. Has it really been that good, or just a couple big plays holding up the average?
He’s had some big plays, but realistically he is running better. He appears to be running with purpose. He had a good average in the preseason too. The issue is the Cards seem to abandon the running game at times. Beanie only carried the ball 14 times last week in Washington. They need more of a balanced offensive attack if they want to be successful.
3) So far, the AZ pass defense has been pretty poor. What’s been the biggest problem in stopping the pass so far?
The Cards have a pass defense? Please let me know where to find them. They’ve yet to appear on an NFL football field this season. Seriously though, they are young and have a lack of depth. They traded away Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. They lost Greg Toler for the season. They were a questionable group even before those losses. Now their number one guy is rookie Patrick Peterson. He will get better but I don’t think we will see any great improvement soon.
4) Statistically, AZ is right in the middle of the league at stopping the run. Is that an honest assessment, or is it just because teams aren’t trying to run against them because they’ve been so poor against the pass?
I think it is still tough to say. Teams are going to look to pass first, run second right now. So yes, it skews the stats a little. It does seem though the tackling has been much better. However if you have a running back who likes to run to the outside, do it. The outside linebackers have been a step slow so far.
5) How solid is Coach Whisenhunt’s footing in AZ right now? Did the Kurt Warner years build up a big enough cache for him with the fans, or are they starting to grumble a bit after last season and a slow start so far this year?
Coach Wiz is just fine. If this season ends up like last, he might be on the hot seat next season. That being said, I think the Cards definitely improve over last season. I’ve not heard any grumblings from fans about the coach. I think though there has been some questioning as to the play selection. Other than than, right now, it’s all good.
6) Who is a young player that perhaps Seattle fans don’t know of yet that is having breakout season for AZ?
Well, most of the young guys have yet to establish themselves and do anything noteworthy. One guy who did surprise in preseason was DE David Carter, rookie from UCLA. No one really knew much about him, yet his name was called fairly consistently during the preseason.